14 March 2005: For immediate release
National Demonstration Saturday March 19th 2005
End the Occupation of Iraq: No More Bush Wars
The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND), Stop the War Coalition and the Muslim Association of Britain (MAB) are holding a national demonstration to call for an end to the occupation of Iraq and to say ‘No more Bush wars’. The demonstration is part of an international day of action against war on the 2nd anniversary of the war on Iraq. Demonstrations will be taking place in over 30 cities across the world.
The demonstration will assemble at 12 noon at Speakers Corner in Hyde Park, leave Hyde Park at 1pm and March past the US Embassy in Grosvenor Square to Trafalgar Square for a rally. Speakers at the rally include Ken Livingstone, Kate Hudson, Chair of CND, Shami Chakrabarti (Director of Liberty), Martin Mubanga, former Guantanamo detainee, Jeremy Corbyn MP, Tony Benn, Bruce Kent, Caroline Lucas MEP, Kate Hoey MP, Andrew Murray, Chair of Stop the War and Anas Altikriti (MAB)
As Bush’s rhetoric moves towards Iran, Chair of CND Kate Hudson asks “Where next Mr Bush?”
“We are marching on Saturday because we reject war mongering foreign policy and the attacks on our civil liberties at home. We are calling for an end to the occupation of Iraq, but we are also asking the question where next Mr Bush?
The illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq has created massive suffering and violence. Two years since the invasion there are 100,000 dead and the country is spiralling out of control. There cannot be real peace and security for the Iraqi people until the aggressor forces leave Iraq. Will the horror Bush and Blair have created in Iraq be repeated elsewhere? Recent reports suggest that there is a real threat of military action against Iran. The US used the threat of nuclear weapons being developed as an excuse to attack Iraq. The same language and pressure is being used on Iran. It is vital that we say no more Bush wars, don’t attack Iran.”
Notes to Editor:
1. For further information and interviews either before or during the demonstration please contact Ruth Tanner CND’s Press & Communications Officer on 0207 7002350 or 07968 420859
2. PRESS CONFERENCE of CND, Stop the War and MAB to launch the demonstration will take place 10.30am Thursday 17th March, Room A, 1 Parliament Street, Whitehall,
3. PHOTO OPPORTUNITY: Speakers Corner 10am – Where next Mr Bush, George Bush will be throwing (Bomb) darts at a map of the world. He has hit Iraq already resulting in 100,000 deaths. Where next, Iran? CND weapons inspectors will be there to say No more Bush Wars. For further information and interviews please contact Ruth Tanner CND’s Press & Communications Officer on 0207 7002350 or 07968 420859
4. Speakers at the rally include Ken Livingstone, Shami Chakrabarti (Director of Liberty), Pro Jo Fahey (Pax Christi USA), Martin Mubanga, Jeremy Corbyn MP, Tony Benn, Bruce Kent, Caroline Lucas MEP, Kate Hoey MP, Jean ‘Binta’ Breeze, George Galloway, Louise Richards (War on Want) Mark Serwotka (PSU), Paul Mackney (NATFHE), Bob Crow (RMT), Speakers from Stop the War, CND, MAB and Military Families Against the War, School Student and NUS rep, The rally will be chaired by Kate Hudson, Chair of CND, Andrew Murray, Chair of Stop the War and Anas Altikriti (MAB)
5. A Statement from public health experts from six countries including the UK has condemned the US and UK governments for not keeping an accurate civilian body count in Iraq.
6. A peace camp will be in Trafalgar Square from Wednesday 16th March till Saturday 19th March, For further information and interviews contact Andrew Burgin on 07939 242229
7. The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) is one of Europe’s biggest single-issue peace campaigns, with over 32,000 members in the UK. CND campaigns for the abolition of all nuclear weapons everywhere.