CND is horrified at the Royal Navy’s plan to host a National Service of Thanksgiving to mark 50 years of the so-called ‘Continuous At Sea Deterrent’ (CASD) nuclear weapons operation in Westminster Abbey.
It is morally repugnant and sends out a terrible message to the world about our country. It says that here in Britain we celebrate weapons – in a place of worship – that can kill millions of people.
The service is set to take place at noon on the 3rd May. We will be holding protests outside Westminister Abbey on the day of the service. Ahead of the celebratory event, we are putting pressure on the Church of England, politicians and the Ministry of Defence to cancel the service.
- CND at Westminster Abbey today CND press release
- 200 clerics slam Westminster Abbey nuclear service CND press release
- Westminster Abbey nuclear weapons celebration condemned CND press release
- Westminster Abbey Protest: No Thanksgiving For Nuclear Weapons
Gather at 11am outside Westminster Abbey – look for the CND banner.
During the church service we will perform a ‘die-in’ to represent the millions who would be killed in the event of a nuclear war.
We will be joined by Christian CND, who will conduct a service of repentance led by CND vice-president Bruce Kent.
- Ask the Dean of Westminster to reconsider hosting a thanksgiving service for nuclear weapons
- Strengthen the movement by joining CND as a member; and if you can, donate to fund our campaign activities.
- Anti-nuclear activists plan ‘die-in’ outside Westminster Abbey over anniversary The Mirror
- Row over nuclear weapons ‘celebration’ at Westminster Abbey The Times
- Campaigners blast plan for service marking 50 years of Britain’s submarine-based nuclear weapons The Mirror
- Bruce Kent on the service at Westminster Abbey to mark 50 years of submarine-based nuclear weapons The Guardian
- Cancel nuclear deterrent service, Abbey urged Church Times
- Westminster Abbey nuclear weapons ‘celebration’ condemned Morning Star
- Horror at Westminster Abbey nuclear weapons ‘thanksgiving service’ Ekklesia
- Campaigners to protest at Westminster Abbey nuclear weapons thanksgiving service ICN