A new United Nations treaty has entered into force, one which will make nuclear weapons illegal in the countries that sign it. The Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW) officially entered international law on January 22nd. 59% of the UK public want the government to sign.
52 countries have ratified the agreement, with a further 86 signing it.
Shamefully the UK government refused to even participate in the treaty talks and now says it will never sign. But that will not stop us from making progress. From its founding meeting, CND has championed the global abolition of nuclear weapons. This treaty is a victory for grassroots campaigning and our anti-nuclear movement. The 2017 Nobel Peace Prize was even awarded to ICAN – of which CND is a partner – for its tireless work in campaigning for this momentous achievement.
What will be the impact of the TPNW?
CND has launched a new report ‘Nuclear Weapons are Banned! What does this mean for Britain?’ with some of our partner organisations which looks at this exact question.
The terms of the TPNW only apply to the countries that have signed and ratified the agreement. And although the nine nuclear-armed states currently state they will not support it, the treaty is a significant pointer towards changing international attitudes to nuclear weapons. Previous treaties prohibiting chemical and biological weapons helped to stigmatise them in the minds of the public. This is now taking place with nuclear weapons.
This historic agreement will no doubt generate international momentum towards global nuclear abolition. The treaty is a breakthrough in international disarmament efforts and will be of enormous support in achieving the goal that most of the world shares: that there is no place for these weapons of mass destruction.
Alongside raising awareness of the TPNW, CND will continue to work with all our partners in Parliament and across civil society to oppose the replacement of Trident.
What can I do to support the campaign?
Put pressure on your MP
- CND is calling on our supporters to arrange a meeting with your MP.
- Working with our partners in Parliament, CND is lobbying the British government to support the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons and work towards the global elimination of nuclear weapons. Use our lobby tool to ask your MP to sign EDM1072.
Sign the petition
- The challenge now is to get the nuclear-armed states – including the UK – to sign the treaty. Sign our petition calling on the government to get rid of its nuclear weapons and support this treaty: we’ll be presenting your signatures at a later date.
Nuclear Ban Communities
- Towns and cities around the world – including Washington, Paris and Manchester – are bypassing their governments’ opposition and becoming Nuclear Ban Communities as they sign up to support the TPNW. You can get your town, village or city involved – find out more.
- Since 1958 CND has been the voice for the millions of people in this country who want to prevent nuclear Armageddon. It’s more important than ever to join CND, to stand with us as we prepare to mark this momentous achievement and renew our determination to achieve a world without nuclear weapons.
Display a poster
- Download this poster and display in your window to share the news about the treaty!
- CND has published a briefing on the treaty to explain its background and relevance. Click here to view on online version or you can order printed copies from the CND office. We also have leaflets and petitions available if you would like to organise a street stall or arrange to distribute these in your local area (contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
- CND organised a webinar with legal experts to discuss exactly what the implications of the treaty will be, both for the UK and for the international community. Watch it back here.